Tuesday, 5 February 2013

It begins...


I’ve done it!  I’ve entered to do the Edinburgh Moonwalk!  26.2 miles in the middle of the night, walking in a bra.  Good lord, what have I let myself in for?!

It’s for a good cause, though: breast cancer awareness.  I’m walking in memory of my mother and best friend, Jan Mucka, who passed away in 2002 from cancer.  I always liked the idea of completing a sporting event to aid a cancer charity and honour the memory of Mom, but I never got off my lazy backside to actually enter!  So my thanks (or possibly blame when the blisters start…) go out to my friend Becca, who suggested we enter the Moonwalk this year and spurred me into action!
 
So I’m going to use this blog to track my process, air my frustrations, share my victories and generally post the type of exercise crap I wish (and, to be fair, everyone wishes) would stay off the Facebook newsfeed.  It’s my way of “getting a room” (but you know, still read it if you want, or not, it’s cool…).   
 
I’m nearly done with Week 1 training, which was just a 2-mile walk every other day.  I managed to source some good-quality running shoes, which have greatly improved my gait (and rid me of my niggling pains here, there and everywhere) so I’m ready for Week 2 to start!

 
Miles this week: 8

Miles total: 8

Pounds lost: 3

Mood: Pumped
 
I’m trying to raise £1,946, which seems like a completely arbitrary and, some might say, exorbitant amount.  True, it’s a lofty goal, but Mom was born in 1946 and it seemed fitting to have that as my fundraising goal.  That, or I’ve sat through too many marketing classes.  I would be so grateful to receive donations, which can be made here:
 

 
Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the fundraising, Lindsay! I'll be following you here :)

    ReplyDelete